Financials and Governance

In 2017, your support enabled Orbis Ireland to:

  • Conduct 6,506 sight saving surgeries
  • Treat 1,103,274 people with antibiotics to treat infectious eye diseases
  • Screen 46,265 people for cataract, trachoma and refractive error
  • Carry out over 2,440 training sessions for doctors, nurses, teachers and eye care teams
  • Enable trained teachers to conduct vision testing on 27,060 school students
  • Provide 2,386 people with eye glasses
  • Educate 38,557 members of the public in the importance of eye health

Each year when generating income through fundraising events, fundraising costs are incurred. In 2017, for every €1 raised (net of fundraising costs), 75% went straight towards saving sight. The remaining 25% covered administration costs.

To find out more about what we achieved in 2017, here's our Annual Report

Financial Statements


Orbis Ireland confirms that our organisation complies with The Governance Code for the Community, Voluntary and Charitable Sector in Ireland.

Orbis Ireland is governed by the Orbis Ireland Board and senior management. The Board's primary function is to agree on the policy parameters and strategic framework within which Orbis operates, to approve budgets and actions based on proposals from management and to monitor performance.

The Board meets at least four times a year. It has three standing committees: Audit and Finance; Programme Monitoring and Fundraising

The Board is accountable to:

  • The donors, for ensuring funds donated are used effectively in pursuit of the organisation’s objectives.
  • Our programme beneficiaries in Ethiopia, for the design and implementation of effective programmes.
  • Our staff, for their welfare and safety.

Find out more about the Board of Director's

Guiding principles for fundraising

Orbis Ireland is committed to achieving the standards outlined in the Statement of Guiding Principles for Fundraising.

The statement provides Irish charities with good practice standards for fundraising. It was developed after extensive consultation with industry experts and stakeholders including charities, non-profit organisations, legal and financial advisors, donors and academics.

The Statement aims to:

  • Improve the way charities in Ireland raise their funds
  • Promote accountability and transparency among charities
  • Provide clarity and assurances to donors about the organisations they support

Read our Donor Charter for Fundraising

Download the full Statement of Guiding Principles for Fundraising document

Code of conduct on images and messages

This Code of Conduct on Images and Messages has been written by charities working in the areas of emergency relief, long-term development and development education.

Read our Code of Conduct on images and Messages


You can contact us to give feedback on any of the above by emailing us at [email protected]